Q. Who is the Boole Library named after?
- The Boole Library is named after George Boole (1815-1864), an English mathematician, philosopher and logician.
- He was the first professor of Mathematics at UCC.
- He is now best known for the development of Boolean algebra, the basis for computer science.
- In 2015 UCC celebrated the two hundredth anniversary of his birth with a year-long programme of events.
- There is portrait of him in the entrance to Boole Library and a bust of him in front of the building.