Q. What do the numbers on the spine of the book mean?
The numbers and letters on the spine of a book are called the call number or classification number. This is the number you need to find a book on the shelf. The numbers go from 000s up to 900s.
- Books are organised on the shelves in call number order.
- Q+1 has 000s, 500s and 600s
- Q+2 has 100s 200s 300s and 400s
- Q+3 has 700s 800s and 900s
- When you search for a book on the catalogue, it gives you the call number.
- It is on the spine of the book, followed by the first 4 letters of the author's surname.
- Books with the same call number are about the same subject.
- Books with different titles or different editions can have the same call number so make sure you get the book you want.